May 05, 2004

I have a few books that I read every other year or so...



The ballad of the sad Cafe by Carson McCullers is one of them. I think I have
probably read it 7-8 times in the past few years - maybe more. I find there
are very few books that I can re-read & that entertain me over & over again
but I have a penchant for vintage American titles set in provincial towns &
The Ballad of the sad Cafe fits the bill perfectly. Set in the deep South It's a
beautiful piece of Southern Gothic. Other titles that deal with Provincial
America in the early 20th century that I read over & over again are:

Other Voices, Other Rooms - Truman Capote
Walk on the Wild Side - Nelson Algren
Welcome to Hard Times - E.L. Doctorow
To kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck

Obsessive? or just too thick to take it in the first time...



Come on in - you'll have had your tea?

< # Scottish Blogs ? >