October 27, 2004

the only thing to listen to on the radio 1 was always...



John Peel

Obituary: John Peel

I was gutted to hear that John Peel had died. He was the ONLY DJ
in the 70's that played Punk/Alternative music & listening to his
show was the only way to hear the new sounds - they certainly weren't
available in the local record shops - & the Sessions are now legendary.
I used to tape the show; I wish I still had the tapes as the banter
was almost as good as the music. At the time I was amazed that the
show had this really cowboy-like bluesy intro & outro with all the
energy & austerity of Punk/Indie sandwiched in between. I remember
being gobsmacked when I saw JP for the first time & he was this
old guy with a beard, not a Johnny Rotten look alike. He was an
absolute legend & continued to help emerging bands right up to his
death. A great loss to the British music industry.

OK. Teenage Kicks - one more time...



Come on in - you'll have had your tea?

< # Scottish Blogs ? >